Thursday, February 18, 2010

Information on Bipolar

What is bipolar disorder? Bipolar disorder is a disease of the nervous system that involves the brain and the body. Environmental, hereditary, genetic, and biological factors create changes in brain cells and an imbalance in the chemicals within the nervous system, resulting in abnormal fluctuations in metabolism, emotions, and thought processes, including attention.-Wes Burgess,M.D,Ph.D.


Through out my experience I have seen and read that everyone with Bipolar is different. Some may be more on the depressed side and some may not. Some may never experience auditory hallucinations as I do and some may experience other hallucinations (tactile, olfactory(smell) and visual).

I myself have experienced all those hallucinations. Bipolar is a mental illness and we all know that there is a stigma on mental illness. We are people first and some with bipolar can have careers (doctors, teachers, lawyers, advocates, plumbers, writers, etc) We can have families and have children.

At first I was very careful whom I told and still a bit cautious. Blogging my story I feel is different. I am ready to tell my story but behind the computer. I would like the stigma of mental illness to go away. Thank you for taking the time in reading my blog. Any questions/comments are welcome.

© 2010-M.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment